Vitesse takes pride in bringing you the best electronics hardware and software. We are very excited to bring you another innovative product: Visual Knock (V-KNOCKTM), Patent Pending.
V-KNOCK is a system that allows you to visibly monitor engine knock as soon as it is detected by your engine management.
Engine knocking From Wikipedia,
“Knocking (also called knock, detonation, spark knock, pinging or pinking) in spark-ignition internal combustion engines occurs when combustion of the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder starts off correctly in response to ignition by the spark plug, but one or more pockets of air/fuel mixture explode outside the envelope of the normal combustion front.
The fuel-air charge is meant to be ignited by the spark plug only, and at a precise time in the piston's stroke cycle. Knock occurs when the peak of the combustion process no longer occurs at the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle. The shock wave creates the characteristic metallic "pinging" sound, and cylinder pressure increases dramatically. Effects of engine knocking range from inconsequential to completely destructive.”
Your factory engine management system monitors and detects engine knock. The factory engineers did a great job in detecting engine knock. Many ECUs generate a Knock Indicator Signal, but in most cases it is not used.
The Knock Indicator Signal is very short in duration (in the millisecond range), making it impossible to detect unless specialized equipment is used. Leaving the user unaware that his engine is knocking, risking engine damage.
Many items can cause engine knock. Poor fuel quality, too aggressive of a tune, engine experiencing heat soak, excessive boost or too high of a Compression Ratio are just a few items that can cause engine knock. Engine knock can happen at any time, during a daily drive, a spirited drive, racing, or while tuning.
In addition to the possible damage the engine knock causes, most factory ECU will reduce performance when knock is detected. You may be low on power and not know it.
Engine knock should be avoided and eliminated! But if you don’t know if and when your engine is knocking, how would you address and correct the problem?
V-KNOCKTM is about to change all of that. By detecting the knock indicator as generated by the car’s ECU, V-KNOCKTM will make you aware. .
V-KNOCKTM offers many features, allowing the users to select what works best for them.
- When a Knock Indicator Signal is detected, V-KnockTM generates signals to trigger two external LEDs or a buzzer. It also generates signals to be used by data loggers or piggybacks.
- The duration of the ON time of the LEDs, as well as the duration of the data logger’s signals are user adjustable. A separate adjustment mechanism is provided for each.
Giving the user the flexibility and the capability to support various type of data loggers.
- The user is able to define a criteria based on which some Knock Indicator Signals are detected, while others are ignored. Any 0-5Vdc signal is used to set the criteria.
A MAP sensor signal or a Throttle Position signal are some of the 0-5V signals that can be used. As an example, the user can select to detect a Knock Indicator Signals above a boost level or a throttle position angle.
- By detecting simultaneous knock indicators, V-MAF+TM gives the user a indication of the knock intensity.
- When used with a Vitesse Piggybacks, the user is able to automatically alter the tuning parameters.
- When used on a 951, V-KnockTM provides an Interface to Vitesse 951 V-MAF+TM software, which will automatically add fuel and retard ignition (in conjunction to the 951 KLR).
V-KNOCK comes complete with the controller, the wiring harness, two external LEDs (prewired for +12V), a user manual and instructions unique to your car. Making installation flexible and simple.
We support the following car models: 951, 944S2, 968, 964 and 993 running stock factory or aftermarket tuning software. Additional car models will be added in the near future.
Customers outside the USA please contact us for ordering instructions.
Customers inside the USA please order V-KNOCKTM online : $140 + s&h.